[Samba] Logon script change failure

sato x garasi9 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 05:06:53 GMT 2007

Hi Wendel,

I've this in my smb.conf, and it works for any M$ windows in my domain

        logon path =
        logon home =
        logon script = logon.bat
#       logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
#       logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
#       logon drive = H:

        comment = NLService
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon/%U
        valid users = %U
        browseable = no
        writeable = no

In this configuration, each user will have their own logon.bat,  but of
course you can change it to suit your needs.



On 3/20/07, Wendell Dingus <wendell at bisonline.com> wrote:
> I've got a bunch of servers which for a long time now have provided
> domain logon scripts of the form %u.bat or %m.bat   I've recently
> created a more capable logon script in Kixtart and have changed smb.conf
> to launch it for all users as just logon.bat  So no more per-machine or
> per-user scripts, everybody runs the same one, and inside it it does
> per-machine and/or per-user things. At maybe 2/3rds of the sites this
> works fine. For the others I'm getting errors in logs where the PC is
> trying to find {machinename}.bat or {username}.bat and failing and
> thusly *not* processing the logon script at all. As if the change in
> smb.conf is being totally ignored. I've restarted samba, rebooted, etc..
> In a few cases I've even tried renaming the entire /var/cache/samba/
> directory and restarting samba so that it creates new copies of all the
> .tdb's. I'm not certain that *all* instances of this are Samba2 but am
> kind of suspecting they are. We've still got a bunch of customers with
> RH9 and Samba 2.2.12  Hey it's doing what we ask and besides this latest
> problem is working fine.
> So, any suggestions how to get a bunch of WinXP PCs to start looking for
> "logon.bat" instead of "%u.bat"? In testing I've simply symlinked
> logon.bat to all the usernames in netlogon and that works, as a band-aid.
> If Samba2 turns out to be the issue and an upgrade to Samba3 is to be
> suggested, something else that's been a problem for me I could ask
> about. I've tried the Samba3 RPMs provided at samba.org and they worked
> great, except... The ability to define a printer in cups pointing to a
> shared printer on a PC as  \\{PCNAME}\{SHARENAME} ceased to work and I
> ended up having to revert back to Samba2. I'd love to resolve this one
> as well and breathe a bit more life into the RH9 boxes we may not get
> upgraded for a long time still. They're all stock RH9 with the Fedora
> Legacy updates all applied.
> # rpm -qa | grep -i 'samba\|cups' | sort
> cups-1.1.17-
> cups-devel-1.1.17-
> cups-libs-1.1.17-
> gimp-print-cups-4.2.4-5
> qtcups-2.0-15
> qtcups-devel-2.0-15
> redhat-config-samba-1.0.4-1
> samba-2.2.12-0.90.6.legacy
> samba-client-2.2.12-0.90.6.legacy
> samba-common-2.2.12-0.90.6.legacy
> samba-swat-2.2.12-0.90.6.legacy
> Thanks!
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

More information about the samba mailing list