[Samba] Can't connect to Samba server from Windows XP box

Tom Gederberg cheetaux at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 13 18:26:22 GMT 2007

Sorry for the novice question, but I am trying to set up my Linux box
(running Fedora Core 6) with Samba. On my Windows XP box, I can find my
Samba Server under my Workgroup, but when I try clicking on it, I get
the following error message:

"\\localhost is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use
this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions.  You were not connected because a
duplicate name exits on the network.  Go to System in Control Panel to
change the computer name and try again."

I am running SELinux and have set the following SELinux permissions:
"Allow Samba to share nfs directories"
"Allow Samba to share users home directories"
"Allow Samba to write fines in directories labeled public_content_rw_t"
"Disable SELinux protection for nmbd daemon"
"Disable SELinux protection for smbd dameon"

Below is my smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2007/03/12 18:47:37

[global]
	workgroup = MYHOME
	server string = Samba Server
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	dns proxy = No
	ldap ssl = no
	cups options = raw

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	path = /home/tom/share
	valid users = tom
	read only = No
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 0775
	browseable = yes

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[photosmart_7900_series]
	comment = HP PhotoSmart 7960 Foomatic/hpijs
	path = /var/spool/samba
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes