[Samba] Q: Samba Proxy or SAMBA Cluster?

Otmar Spoettel otmar.spoettel at gmx.de
Thu Mar 8 13:05:57 GMT 2007

Hello,

we have here a SAMBA Server with Shares for worldwide Projects.
Now the problem is the slow access from some branches.

We have now the idea to use a CIFS Proxy or a Cluster to provide the
files localy.

The Idea:

The main samba server holds all files and all user information. The CIFS
Proxy in the remote location have a copy of all files and a copy of the
user database.

If a user open a file the file will be locked on all servers (main
server and all cifs proxy). If the user write a file (new file or file
change) the file will be still locked until the file is written on all
servers.

It hears simple, but there are many problems. What happens, when the
connection go down, the main server due to maintanace will be shut off,
a client dies while he edit a file...

Is there a working solution available (Samba3)?

Otmar