[Samba] Samba shares slow

Peter Lappo peter.lappo at smr.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 21:39:45 GMT 2007

I've played around (far too long) and have given up with samba for now -
I've tried all the optimisation tricks, restarted smb and nmb several
times, disabled the firewall and SELinux on the server, disabled
anti-virus software on the PC but to no avail - browsing is still very
slow and copy large files from the samba server is very slow.

For now I'm going to use pure-ftpd and netdrive
http://www.loyola.edu/5555/netdrive/installingnetdrive/ a program that
makes a window drive out of ftp. While its not very secure it seems to
be very fast in both directions.