[Samba] Samba and LDAP: Trouble adding Win XP machines to the domain

mikelOn mikel.santos at idom.es
Wed Jun 27 07:53:45 GMT 2007

Hi Edmundo,

I do agree with you. The first thing I wanted was to be able to add a
machine to the domain and once I have been able to do so, I have been
debugging to get to know why LAM was succeeding and the console scripts not.
Yesterday, I found out that when the windows machine is added through the
console script, the uidNumber assigned is superior to 1000 (1001, 1002 and
so on...) but when added through the LAM it requested a number superior to
50000. I do not exactly know why, but if I create the machiness via the
console script (smbldap-useradd -w) the "username not found message appears"
and the machine is assigned a number superior to 1000. If I then change such
uidNumber to 5000x, the machine can then join the domain.

This morning I wanted to review the smbldap-useradd perl script to see if
there is any place (config file or so) where I can indicate the base number
I want for the machines.

¿Do I need to set that "base" uidNumber somewhere? ¿Why must it be set to
above than 50000?
¿Did you ever experience anything similar?

Thanks for your help.