[Samba] Re: problem after update 3.0.22 -> 3.0.24 [SOLVED]

Carsten John cjohn at mpi-bremen.de
Tue Jun 26 09:33:23 GMT 2007

Carsten John wrote:
> A closer look shows the following problems:
>
> - a domain member server (samba 3.0.22) can't be accessed any more. The
> samba on the PDC are showing a succeeding auth request for the user, but
> the windows box claims access rights problems. This is a minor problem,
> as we could temporarily go around that by mounting the necessary
> filesystem via NFS to the PDC and exporting them from there.
>
> - our logon script (which uses ifmember.exe  to check the group
> membership of the user for printer mapping) does not work any more.
> Testing "ifmember.exe /list" directly at the windows command line shows
> that group memberships are not reported any more.
>
> - additionally some users are reporting problems accessing shares with
> special access groups (couldn't really verify that so far)

Hi everybody,

after having RTFM:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-HOWTO/groupmapping.html

the samba CHANGENOTES:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ChangeNotes.html

and the following HOWTO:

http://thegoldenear.org/toolbox/unices/samba-3-pdc-print-server-debian-etch.html

I finally figure out the problem.

The unix groups are no longer automgically mapped to windows domain
groups.  So I had simply top add all the necessary unix group to the
list of windows domain groups by:

$>groupmap add ntgroup=$group unixgroup=$group type=d

After doing that for every needed group, ifmember.exe works like a charm
and the users with access problems are back in business again.

As a result of the upgrade I would recommend (at least for myself), that
it is really important to stay current with the samba development and
changes, even if everything runs fine so far.

Thanks

Carsten

--
Max Planck Institut fuer marine Mikrobiologie
- Network Administration -