[Samba] Samba seems to pause for a long time and do nothing

Peter Lappo peter.lappo at smr.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 21:27:54 GMT 2007

Francis,
I get long pauses if I just drag and drop any large file using windows
explorer from the server to the client. So its not confined to using a
mp3 player.

The mp3 player works fine when using a local file or when streaming from
another windows xp machine. See stats below.

Sometimes there is a long pause before anything appears to happen.

Here are some interesting transfer times on a 30MB file.
Transfer times and network peaks according to Windows Task Manager are
shown.

When using Windows Explorer to drag and drop files (ie at the pc screen)
PC -> Samba     5 sec          60% network peaks, no pauses
Samba -> PC     1 minute     20% network peaks, significant pauses

When using Fedora Nautilus to drag and drop files (ie sitting at the
server screen),
PC -> Samba     15 sec        20% network peaks, no pauses
Samba -> PC     1 minute     5% network peaks, no pauses

When using Windows Explorer to drag and drop files, (ie drag and drop
between local and remote pc)
PC -> PC remote    5 sec     80% peak, no pauses
PC remote -> PC    5 sec     80% peak, no pauses

The smbstatus didn't change throughout.

The problem seems to be sending data from Samba to the client.

It would be interesting to try Samba to Samba transfers but I don't have
the equipment set-up to try this.

Peter
PS Is it possible to post images to the list?