[Samba] LDAP

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Jun 23 20:30:18 GMT 2007

On Saturday 23 June 2007 14:52, Cybionet wrote:
> Greeting Adam,
>
>   Humm I'm not agree with this, but it is your opinion (Samba with LDAP
> is simple). It is true that all is complicated when you don't know what
> you do. But **that's a fact, don't completly trust documentation without
> understanding what you do. There are so many wrong or obsolete documents
> on the Net.

OK - I'll buy into this, I wrote the documentation Adam pointed at.

LDAP is simple and straight forward when you know exactly what you are doing.
Getting to that point is NOT simple for reasons Cybionet just mentioned.  The
biggest problem is not knowing what you do not know!

Having said all that - I wrote the book "Samba3 by Example" to help exactly
those who just want to get started.  As soon as you have a working system you
can start to experiment with it, and when you do, things will break and
that's how some people learn. "Samba3 by Example" is not intended as a
cure-all solution for all sites.

PS: The best URL is: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

This book is linked to Samba-Guide.pdf - it is the same document.

Have you read the relevant chapter of this book?  If so, what did not work for
you? You may have found bugs I was not aware of, so please tell me so I can
fix it.

cheers,
John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.