[Samba] Samba-4.0? (waiting to replace SBS2000 AD domain controller)

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 13:24:35 GMT 2007

> I support some organizations using Microsoft Small Business Server 2000,
> with relatively simple Active Directory domains.
> AFAICT, they use simple printer and server file shares for Windows 9x and
> 2K and XP clients, the centralized user accounts with server-mapped home
> directories, and not many other features of a domain.
> I want to plan a migration away from Microsoft Domain Controllers
> ASAP. I'm motivated by disaster-recovery and routine management concerns.

Disaster recovery routines with Windows / AD work fine.  Thousands of
organizations use them.

> I'd sleep much better with configuration in /etc plaintext files, rather
> than some binary registry theoretically backed up on tape.

So instead of AD you'd prefer the LDAP server that comes with Samba4?
Or an external one like OpenLDAP?  Neither of which use plaintext files.

> I think I'm obliged to wait for Samba-4.0, and would like to read as much
> about the planned domain controller capabilities as possible. Is anyone
> blogging Samba-4.0 development in detail?

There is the Wiki,  and you can lurk on the samba-technical list.
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page#Samba4
Or just read the samba-technical archives -
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/ [ Mail archive == BLOG,
before anyone invented that stupid term :) ]