[Samba] Samba-4.0? (waiting to replace SBS2000 AD domain controller)

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 19:01:42 GMT 2007

I support some organizations using Microsoft Small Business Server 2000,
with relatively simple Active Directory domains.

AFAICT, they use simple printer and server file shares for Windows 9x and
2K and XP clients, the centralized user accounts with server-mapped home
directories, and not many other features of a domain.

I want to plan a migration away from Microsoft Domain Controllers
ASAP. I'm motivated by disaster-recovery and routine management concerns.
I'd sleep much better with configuration in /etc plaintext files, rather
than some binary registry theoretically backed up on tape.

I think I'm obliged to wait for Samba-4.0, and would like to read as much
about the planned domain controller capabilities as possible. Is anyone
blogging Samba-4.0 development in detail?

http://news.samba.org/ has no 4.0 mention since 2007-01-31. I'm reading
http://viewcvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/SAMBA_4_0/WHATSNEW.txt?rev=23373&view=auto
for information.

Thanks.