[Samba] Connection problem with 3.0.25a

Darin derwood at naebunny.net
Sat Jun 23 07:30:26 GMT 2007

Hello all,
   I've tried everything I can think of, I've gone through Google and
the Samba website and I can't come up with a fix for this problem.
I've been running Samba 3 for at least the past year with no problems.
I run a small FreeBSD 6.2 box that I use as a storage area for the
windows XP systems on my network.  Things have been fine up until 3.0.25
and 3.0.25a.

Now, when I try to connect to one of the shares, I get the following
from windows:  "Y:\ refers to a location that is unavailable.  It could
be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure
that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the
internet or your network, and then try again.  If it still cannot be
located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

I also get that error if I browse to the share on the network and try to
connect that way, instead of using the mapped drive letter.

I've tried completely uninstalling 3.0.25a, removing all TDB files,
everything and then recompile and reinstall fresh.  Any time a machine
on the network tries to connect, the following is logged in
/var/log/samba/log.192.168.0.216:

[2007/06/23 03:07:24, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
  192.168.0.216 (192.168.0.216) connect to service backup$ initially as
user nobody (uid=65534, gid=65534) (pid 63261)
[2007/06/23 03:07:34, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
  192.168.0.216 (192.168.0.216) closed connection to service backup$

I'm using share level security.  I have the share set to be accessible
by anyone on the network so that any machine has full write access.
If I remove 3.0.25a and fall back to 3.0.24, everything is fine.  I
don't make any changes to the smb.conf file.  It just starts working
when I go back to 3.0.24

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = MYNET