[Samba] "The Domain THUNDER is not abaliable"

Dan Saul daniel.saul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:53:33 GMT 2007

Good day.

I am relatively new with samba, I can get a single server
configuration of samba to work. However now I am trying to get single
sign ons with roaming profiles to work. I can join the domain without
problems. However when I restart and then type THUNDER\dan and my
password into the login screen (as the domain entry box does not show
up) I get the error "The system cannot log you on now because the
domain THUNDER is not avaliable.".

This error still happens even though I can browse the file server
portion of the server.

My goals with this server are to have my login accounts set on the one
server and logged on to by Windows XP Pro, and Mac OS X eventually.

The following is my smb.conf file, it is mostly a copy of one I found
in a HOW-TO on the internet, most options I do not understand.

[global]
   workgroup = THUNDER
   netbios name = %h
   server string = %h

   passdb backend = tdbsam
   security = user
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
   domain logons = yes
   preferred master = yes
   wins support = yes

   # Set CUPS for printing
   printcap name = CUPS
   printing = CUPS

   # Default logon
   logon drive = H:
   logon script = scripts/logon.bat
   logon path = \\THUNDER\profile\%U

   # Useradd scripts
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
   delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
   add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
   delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
   add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false/ -d /var/lib/nobody %u
   idmap uid = 15000-20000
   idmap gid = 15000-20000

   # sync smb passwords woth linux passwords
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
   passwd chat debug = yes
   unix password sync = yes

   # set the loglevel
   log level = 3

[homes]
   comment = Home
   valid users = %S
   read only = no
   browsable = no

[Data]
   comment = Data Share
   path = /media/Thunder
   read only = no
   browsable = yes
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   browsable = no

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/samba/netlogon
   admin users = Administrator
   valid users = %U
   read only = no

[profile]
   comment = User profiles
   path = /home/samba/profiles
   valid users = %U
   create mode = 0600
   directory mode = 0700
   writable = yes
   browsable = no

[profiles]
   comment = User profiles
   path = /home/samba/profiles
   valid users = %U
   create mode = 0600
   directory mode = 0700
   writable = yes
   browsable = no

If you require any other information I will be more then happy to
provide it, simply say the word.

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.