[Samba] Samba Client with Windows XP share slow performance

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Tue Jun 19 19:43:25 GMT 2007

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 03:22:34PM -0400, aragonx at dcsnow.com wrote:
>> I'm getting awful performance when trying to write to our new NAS and/or
>> Windows XP share.  In short, I'm getting just under 1/2 the speed that I
>> can get if I mount a Linux share on the Windows box and send the files
>> that way.  Here are the test results:
>>
>> >From XP to Linux via FTP 47MB/sec
>> >From XP to Linux via SAMBA 40MB/sec
>> >From Linux to XP via CIFS 21MB/sec
>>
>> Now, this is much better than the performance I am getting from our SuSE
>> 9.3 stock servers using the 2.6.5 kernel.  This can only get about
>> 10MB/sec.  We have tried many different socket options with little to
>> show
>> for the effort.7
>
> More details on the Linux mount please ?

Well, I'm not exactly sure what information would be useful.  Here is some
things I can think of.

I simply did a mount -t cifs //windowsxpmachine/xfertest /home/xfertest

Here is some more machine information.  Please let me know if this is not
what is needed.

uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Mar 10 19:15:16
EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

modinfo cifs.ko
filename:       cifs.ko
version:        1.47
Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license:        GPL
author:         Steve French <sfrench at us.ibm.com>
srcversion:     1F9612E98A836FE3CFEA30A
depends:
vermagic:       2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 SMP mod_unload 686 4KSTACKS
parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header).
Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1
to 64 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30
Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server. Default:
50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)

rpm -qa|grep samba
system-config-samba-1.2.35-1.1
samba-3.0.24-1.fc6
samba-common-3.0.24-1.fc6
samba-client-3.0.24-1.fc6

free
Mem:       2070904     427736    1643168          0      20632     284708
-/+ buffers/cache:     122396    1948508
Swap:      2031608          0    2031608

believed to be clean.