[Samba] Very slow initial opening MS-Word and MS-Excel files from Samba

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:12:56 GMT 2007

My first question would be does this happen with other applications or
strictly Office? Do you get the same behavior if you attempt to open a
.doc file with Open Office?

Second, have you watched your samba logs in real time (example: tail -f
/var/log/samba/<your_pc_log>) as you try to open a file to see what's
happening behind the scenes?

Lastly, I'm not sure what happens when you use true or false as a value
for oplocks and level2 oplocks, but I thought the values were either yes
or no.