[Samba] Re: changing DOMAIN name on samba PDC

Matt Anderson sokkerstud_11 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 11 23:21:59 GMT 2007

> scenario #3
> all workstations have to leave the old DOMAIN (does this have to be done
> before the rename?). and after the renaming of the main PDC we'll have
> to rejoin all windows xp pro workstations to the newly named domain?
>
> scenario #4
> any other suggestions or hints on how to best do this, with the least
> impact and downtime and admin work coming our way?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help or pointers on this.

Hi Urs,

I can't say for sure what would happen, but my guess is that scenario #3 is your
best option.

However, since it is possible that things could work out in your favor, I would
recommend setting up a quick test.  Set up a Samba server as a PDC of a
different domain, join a workstation to it and then rename the domain on the PDC
and see what happens.... then if anything goes bad, you can always wipe the test
machines out.

Hopefully that helps,
Matt