[Samba] Access Windows AD share From Linux

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:04:49 GMT 2007

On 6/11/07, Kenneth R Leach <kleach2 at csc.com> wrote:
> I was successful in mounting the share, using the following:
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=<myid>,password=<mypassword> //<AD
> Server>/<Share> /mnt/app1
>
> However, when I "cd" into the "/mnt/app1" directory and try to list the
> contents I get a "Permission Denied" error.

smbfs is generally deprecated in favor of cifs.  Try "mount -t cifs" instead.

I'm certain that you've already checked this, but just to make sure,
I'm assuming that you checked the Linux permissions on the mounted
filesystem to make sure that you have read access as far as Linux is
concerned?  mount.cifs supports uid, gid, file_mode, and dir_mode
options to use different Linux permissions on mounted filesystems.

Josh Kelley