[Samba] Re: What makes excel file opening so slow??

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 17:09:27 GMT 2007

> When I tried to do a throughput monitor, hey, it seems only used up
> some hundred Kbit/second of the bandwidth, however we have around
> 4Mbps for the internet access in both sides (Hong Kong and China).
> However I do agree that the latency causes so much problem.

If you have Internet connections on both ends and are using a VPN then
you are probably screwed.  If your 4Mbps is a point-to-point link there
is more you can do.  But you still might be able to gain something by
adjusting the MRU/MTU/Window/etc... of your VPN connection.  But the
latency on Internet links is usually pretty bad.

And is your connection really 4Mbps both up and down stream?

Anyway, I don't think this is a Samba issue but a basic networking
issue.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com