[Samba] Help for ber_printf(ber, "N}" in pdb_ldap.c

Tue Jun 5 06:01:27 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 09:14:24PM -0000, Li, Ying (ESG) wrote:
> definition of the "N" format character either. I only saw the lower case
> format character "n"(Null). Therefore, I'd like to know what is the
> meaning of the encoding format character "N".
>
>  ber_printf( ber, "N}" );
>
> Could somebody run into the problem, or can help me?

From encode.c:

/* N tag */
static ber_tag_t lber_int_null = 0;

                case 'n':       /* null */
                        rc = ber_put_null( ber, ber->ber_tag);
                        break;

                case 'N':       /* Debug NULL */
                        if( lber_int_null != 0 ) {
                                /* Insert NULL to ensure * peer ignores unknown tags */
                                rc = ber_put_null( ber, lber_int_null );
                        } else {
                                rc = 0;
                        }
                        break;

So it seems this is just something to confuse readers in
this case...

Volker