[Samba] SSO across multiple physical subnets

adrian sender adrian_au1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:44:38 GMT 2007

Hi Tom,

Sounds like a "chapter 6 samba 3 by example"  scenario.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/2000users.html

Cheers,
Adrian Sender.

>From: Thomas Smith <tom71713-misc at inqone.com>
>To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
>Subject: [Samba] SSO across multiple physical subnets
>Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:22:04 -0700
>Hi,
>
>I¹ve been reading up on SSO-based logins for the last couple of weeks. I¹ve
>found a lot of information about it, but nothing that matches my situation.
>Here¹s the gist of my situation...
>
>- I have a Samba 3 PDC in our corporate office as well as three remote
>offices.
>
>- Each remote office is in a different physical building and connected to
>the Corporate office either via Point-to-Point T-1 or a Cisco PIX on-demand
>VPN tunnel. Each office resides in a separate IP subnet.
>
>- Each office is a separate domain. Each server has it's own domain user
>and
>group accounts.
>
>- I have laptop users who travel between the various offices on a regular
>basis. I also have some desktop users who travel to remote offices to
>provide training and such.
>
>What I'd like to do is make this a fault tolerant, SSO environment. Fault
>tolerance is very important for us in case one of the VPN tunnels or T-1s
>goes down--each office would still need to be able to log in to their
>server(s) and work.
>
>Another challenge has been laptop users--if they're configured for the
>Corporate office domain, they cannot access the domains of remote offices
>while on-site at those locations. This has always been a manual workaround
>for them to get access to printers and network shares.
>
>Can anyone suggest a direction to go in here? I know this is a lot, I'm not
>looking for someone to do the work. I just need some help locating the
>appropriate technology or how-tos for configuring something of this scale.
>
>Thanks, in advance, for your help!
>
>~ Tom

Advertisement: Search for local singles online at Lavalife
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D29555&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search&_m=EXT