[Samba] samba and proftpd authentication

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Thu Jul 19 11:21:03 GMT 2007

Hey List-

Since samba is in the middle..trying here first.

I have a samba FreeBSD box as just a member server which was authenticating
against a samba PDC. For other reasons we migrated that to a Win2003 ADS box.

I got the member server to join the ADS domain and users who are logged in can
browse the shares, etc... without issue. The problem I have is that proftpd
(via PAM) is no longer authenticating domain users.

Here is my smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
realm = int.DOMAIN.com
netbios name = DOMAINTEST
#server string = Samba %v on %L
server string =
security = ADS
password server = DOMAINSERVER
wins server = 10.0.0.3
encrypt passwords = yes
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
#winbind use default domain = yes
#winbind separator = \
#winbind nss info = sfu
guest ok = yes
follow symlinks = no
case sensitive = no
os level = 33

I was getting the following error:
[2007/07/19 05:46:21, 0] nsswitch/winbindd.c:request_len_recv(544)
  request_len_recv: Invalid request size received: 1848

but a reboot and a library reload has cleared that up.

My proftpd pam file (hasn't changed) looks like:
#PAM config file for ProFTPD
auth            required        /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so
account         required        /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so

I changed the debug lvl to 10 and I can see the server doing a request for the
FTP user and it doesn't throw any obvious errors.

I am logging into proftpd using DOMAIN\ftpuser

Thoughts?

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson