[Samba] winbind + samba limits with large AD?

Ralf Gross Ralf-Lists at ralfgross.de
Tue Jul 10 20:08:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

a few months ago I tried to setup samba + winbind (debian etch,
amd64, samba 3.0.24). I followed the howto and got the authentication
running. But I had not much success with winbind. I disabled the
user/group enumeration, but this didn't change it. A simple 'ls -l' in
a directory with 10-20 files took minutes to return the list and most
of the time winbindd just stopped working an no connection to the
samba shares were possible. I had to kill the daemon.

I'm only responsible for a couple of linux workstations, but our AD is
quite large (>100000 or more entries). Before I start a new attempt to
get winbindd working, I would like to know if this is possible at all
without any further patches or "secret" tweaks?

Ralf