[Samba] winbind + samba limits with large AD?

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Tue Jul 10 21:04:00 GMT 2007

Hi Ralf,

I assume that you are using "security = ads" and I assume that
your AD setup has groups with lots of members?

This is a known problem then that has been fixed in current
samba (SAMBA_3_2 as of today): The ads version of the function
lookup_groupmem (used to retrieve the members of a given group)
showed poor performance on large groups. I recently improved
the performance of this call (starting with svn revisions r23070
and r23072). This is in SAMBA_3_2 and in SAMBA_3_2_0, so it will
be in the next release (3.2.0).

There is no way to improve the performance significantly with
3.0.24 (except patching). So I suggest that you grab the latest
sources with svn (see http://www.samba.org/samba/devel/), you
can also get the upcoming release branch SAMBA_3_2_0 here) or
get the unpacked sources with rsync like so:
"rsync -avSH samba.org::ftp/pub/unpacked/samba_3_2/ ./samba_3_2"
and then compile it yourself.

The reason why lookup_groupmem gets used in "ls -l" at all is
that the getgrgid library call is used to resolve the gids into
names, and this call returns not only the name but the whole
group structure, including the list of members.

So to confirm my assumptions above, you could compare the
runtime of "ls -l" to that of "ls -ln": The latter should be
much faster!

Cheers, Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9