[Samba] how to debug roaming profiles

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Sat Jan 27 23:52:18 GMT 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 17:08, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Hi,
> I had to install a new Samba server (3.0.23b). Home dir and account were
> copied. I join a machine to the domain, but the stored profiles do not
> work.  How can I debug that (in which log files)?
>
> I checked the usual suspect: permissions; they seem ok to me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc Delisle

Marc,

Have you followed the examples in the book "Samba3 By Example"?

Working your way through non-working roaming profiles can be daunting.

The user's SID is stored inside the NTUSER.DAT file and if this does not match
the one that is one your new system it simply will not work. In this case the
book "Samba3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" provides information on how you can
change the user SID inside the NTUSER.DAT file using the "profiles" tool.

The two books can be obtained from:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf

There are a lot of things that can explain your problem. Often the best way to
get over the hump is to follow a documented working example, then explore
your non-working system step by step.

Cheers,
John T.