[Samba] What Happened to my SAMBA? Permissions Issue

Travis Bullock tbullock at avmax.ca
Thu Jan 25 20:41:12 GMT 2007

OK. Here is what the Directory should and does look like prior to my opening the file:

-rwsrws---+ 1 root AVMAX+Domain Admins 195584 Jan 25 13:29 BAe146 Access Panels.xls

Here is what the diretory looks like after I open this file via Windows XP and MS Excel:

-rwxrwx---+ 1 AVMAX+tbullock AVMAX+Domain Admins 195584 Jan 25 13:39 BAe146 Access Panels.xls

Here is how the share is set up in smb.conf:

[Foyer]
comment = Avmax Foyer Share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
read only = no
# valid users = AVMAX+TBullock
force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 0770
path = /usr/avmax_shares/Foyer

Here is how this problem is fixed in the User Guide:

Question: “When user B saves a word document that is owned by user A, the updated file is now owned by user B. Why is Samba doing this? How do I fix this?”

Answer:
There is a workaround to solve the permissions problem. It involves understanding how you can manage file system behavior from within the smb.conf file, as well as understanding how UNIX file systems work. Set on the directory in which you are changing Word documents: chmod g+s `directory_name'. This ensures that all files will be created with the group that owns the directory. In smb.conf share declaration section set:

force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 0770

These two settings will ensure that all directories and files that get created in the share will be readable/writable by the owner and group set on the directory itself.

What is wrong here?

Travis Bullock
Systems Administrator
Avmax Group Inc.