[Samba] Am I going about this all the wrong way?

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 04:31:24 GMT 2007

> I cannot figure out how they can gain access to a share that they
> have no permissions to open.

I don't know whether this answers your question, but AFAIK connecting
to a share doesn't require any credentials - you only need to log in
before accessing the *data* in that share.

I say this because under Windows if you connect to a machine and/or
share that you don't have access to, running "net view" will sometimes
show that the connection is still there (which is a pain if you used
the wrong username, because you have to remove that dud connection
before Windows will let you try again with a different username.)

If nobody can access the files in the share then I wouldn't worry about
it.

Cheers,
Adam.