[Samba] Am I going about this all the wrong way?

David Greenhall david.greenhall at praybourne.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 16:55:16 GMT 2007

Sorry for the title, but couldnt think how to word it.

Basically we have a piece of software that all departments in our company uses, placed on the samba server but runs from windows. Because different departments use other items on the server which will differ depending on who needs them this is what i have done:

       [AccountsFolder] |---------------[SymbolicLink1] - Linked to folder1/softwarefolder

[folder1] - Contains the software for all
    |-------[Softwarefolder]

       [SalesFolder] |---------------[SymbolicLink2] - Linked to folder1/softwarefolder

The Folder1 is owned by domain admins
AccountsFolder owned by Accounts
and Salesfolder owned by Sales.

[smb.conf]

[Accounts]
 browseable = no
 inherit permissions = Yes
 delete readonly = Yes
 writeable = yes
 valid users = @Accounts
 path = /var/samba/Accounts
 force group = Accounts

[Sales]
 browseable = no
 inherit permissions = Yes
 delete readonly = Yes
 writeable = yes
 valid users = @Sales
 path = /var/samba/Sales
 force group = Sales

However, when i check the connections using webmin, there are users in accounts who have connections open from sales and visa versa. This I was hoping someone could enlighten me on. I cannot figure out how they can gain access to a share that they have no permissions to open. When I browse from their machines to try and open the other shares its as you would expect [Access Denied]

So basically im wondering if i am going about this all the wrong way, and maybe someone could hint at a better way.

Thanks
Dave

Systems Administrator
Praybourne Limited