[Samba] Windows 2003 Server Problem

otrcomm otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Tue Jan 23 20:18:29 GMT 2007

hello all,

I am trying to use Samba on a Debian box to share Apache log files with a Windows 2003 Server so the Livestats on the Windows box
can process statistics.

I am having a terrible problem getting the Windows 2003 Server box to mount the Samba share..  I am running samba version
3.0.14a-Debian. The Debian box/Samba server and Windows box are not on the same lan, so I am trying to get them to communicate via
eth0 over the internet.

I have port 139 open for tcp in iptables on the debian box, and ports 137 & 138 open for udp.  I have the wondows box in
hosts-allow.  I have the windows box in "hosts allow" in smb.conf.  I have the correct workgroup in smb.conf and the windows box.

If I run from the debian box:

smbclient //debian-box-ip/vhosts -Uusername%password

I get:

WARNING: no network interfaces found
Domain=[ADAM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-Debian]
smb: \>

I am not sure what the warning message is telling me, but it has to be part of my problem.

I have other systems setup where Samba shares on Fedora boxes work fine with Windows 2000 clients, but this Debian/Win2003 problem
is driving me nuts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I can send any config files needed.

Thanks,

Murrah Boswell