[Samba] migrating to a new server with LDAP

John Baker johnnyb at marlboro.edu
Fri Jan 19 15:21:38 GMT 2007

Thanks very much for your reply.

The LDAP server is running Ubuntu breezy and packages are up to date so
it should be ok.

Finding the right section on the Samba3 by example helps. :)

Now according to "replacing a Domain Controller" under "Migrating
Samba-3 to a new server" I can just " Copy the |secrets.tdb| file, the
|smbpasswd| file (if it is used), the |/etc/samba/passdb.tdb| file (only
used by the |tdbsam| backend), and all the tdb control files from the
old system to the correct location on the new system."

But I need to be able to test it in the production environment because I
have to hook it into the current ldap server. (I can't practically
rebuild that in a lab)

So, then for being able to test it in place while the other server
continues to function what would you say is the best strategy? This is
why I was thinking of using the process for making a BDC and then
renaming it and setting all the other configuration parameters to what
the current server has after its been tested and the other one is ready
to come down.

This particular server sits in the middle of the network and hosts
everyone's mail spool and file storage. Samba is just used to allow
users to mount their home directories from other machines. All the other
essential network services take place elsewhere.

So its not a terribly complicated setup. I only need to be sure that I
can create new uses accounts and mount drives via LDAP authentication.

Thanks again

--
John Baker
Network Systems Administrator