[Samba] concerns with moving from samba2 to samba3

Rory Slegtenhorst rory.slegtenhorst at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 14:52:31 GMT 2007

Ross,

As I have executed this before, here's my story:

Create a complete and exact copy of what you HAVE on the new machine...
This includes /etc/samba/* /var/lib/samba/* etc...

Verify that the NEW machine does the same job as the OLD one...
Eg logon clients, shares etc...
Also check if the SIDS are still the same...
Oh and plz don't run these two server TOGETHER at the SAME TIME... ;)
Just a minor note *harharhar*

After you verified that the new server has properly replaced the old,
it's time to update the software...

We have simply used "rpm -Uvh *.rpm" in a directory with all the
updated rpm's together...
So, stop the services... execute the upgrade, and restart your services...

At my customer this went without a glitch (in the end)...
If anything failes, just try again...

OH... if you are running a domain controller with logon scripts...
things tend to get ugly if you don't follow procedures :D

So in your case, you are stuck with one minor detail... the new server
will not have the OLD samba installed...
This was not a problem in my case because I install Samba after installation...
Again... if it failes... try and try again :)

I hope this helps...
Cheers,
--
Rory Slegtenhorst