[Samba] samba attributes for openldap

Sean Elble elbles at sessys.com
Tue Jan 16 22:36:21 GMT 2007

While I cannot say how to exactly add all the Samba attributes among a large
group of users (other than to do an ldapsearch/ldapmodify script with lots
of grep'ing, awk'ing, et cetra), I can tell you that you will have a very
hard time using Kerberos passwords with Windows clients through Samba. In
fact, it is impossible using Samba 3 - You will have to store your Samba
passwords in the LDAP backend, and then find someway to synchronize them
with the Kerberos passwords, if I understand everything correctly. It can be
done (it's one of my projects, at the moment), but it's far from
straightforward.

On 1/16/07 4:46 PM, "chechu chechu" <chechuironman at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> (sorry for my english I'm a telecomunications student from spain)
> I'm building a PDC with samba from a ldapbackend which was created
> without samba attributes...it's a very big database...does someone know
> how can I add the samba attributes to all users..? and what attributes I
> have to add so that the pdc have the next characteristics:
>
> - backend openldap(replica-server,it's not the master, i think i'll have
> to add attributes on both servers)
>
> - kerberos passwords
> - home directory and profile in the server by openafs or samba
>
> thanks

|  Sean Elble                                     |
|  Virginia Tech, Class of 2008                   |
|  Vice President, VTLUUG                         |
|  E-Mail:   elbles at sessys.com                    |
|  Web:      http://www.sessys.com/~elbles/       |
|  Cell:     860.946.9477                         |