[Samba] Re: rename or mv not possible when unix write mode not set

Kevin Longfellow klongfel at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 20:43:57 GMT 2007

> > 	Do you mean that you are using chmod and mv
> provided by MKS under windows, or are you saying
> something else?

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for responding.

Yes using chmod and mv provided by MKS under Windows XP.  Also, note that
Windows rename does not work either.

> 	Did you try to add vfs full audit and check
> what's going on "under the bridge"?

No.  About all I have done so far is narrow the problem down to our source
control system doing a mv of a file with 544 permissions.

> 	And also, what the log says when you try to
> execute the same thing? Doing that over the smbfs
> or CIFS is not _exactly_ the same thing as when you
> are on the unix filesystem.

I have not checked the logs.  I'll take a look.

This works fine on a local Windows XP filesystem.  It also works fine to a CIFS
share served by a Network Appliance filer.  The only server that appears to fail
is samba.  Why would it behave different than other CIFS servers?