[Samba] Re: Complicated question

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 03:15:12 GMT 2007

"Jason Baker" <jbaker at glastender.com> wrote in message
news:45A6BF14.6090506 at glastender.com...
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I
> just put together a PDC using Samba. I have given users the ability to
> change their passwords (once every 7 days) if they wish. I used to keep
> a list of usernames and passwords in a spread-sheet, so I could keep
> track of the servers that I needed to update with the correct password
> if anything changed. That being said. What do I do about authentication
> if I want to add a NAS? I basically won't know what user's passwords are
> and if/when they change them. How do I allow them access to the NAS
> shares with the proper permissions, while still maintaining the
> flexibility of allowing them to change their passwords?

It sounds as if you were using a workgroup logic before.  Are you saying
that each server had its own list of users and passwords?

With a PDC there is one list of usernames and passwords.  This is stored on
the PDC.  You give access to specific shares on each server to specific
users or groups.

When a user logs on to the network, the PDC verifies his password.  When he
tries to access a share, the relevant server checks to see if he has access
to the share and if he has been authenticated by the PDC.

Each server does not authenticate the user's password.