[Samba] File Lock Timeout

Stringer Leon (West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust) leon.stringer at nhs.net
Fri Jan 12 16:02:37 GMT 2007

>From: Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE>
>On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 03:21:10PM +0000, Stringer Leon (West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust) wrote:
>> I've seen posts (but no answers) about clearing a file
>> lock on a Samba share. Presumably this kind of thing
>> happens when the program abnormally terminates and doesn't
>> close its open files.
>>
>> I've got a file that smbstatus reports as:
>>
>> 1216   DENY_WRITE 0x20089     RDONLY     NONE             /shares/share1/Files/december.xls   Fri Jan 12 12:51:30 2007
>>
>> So I'm guessing this lock will eventually time out. But
>> after how long? I can't find any documentation on this.
>> But it looks like it's longer than 2 hours!
>
>If the client who is being served by process 1216 is still
>around you should ask the user sitting at that box to close
>the file. If not, kill pid 1216 and the problem should solve
>itself.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that doesn't help as the user is one of many on a terminal server and all files for that box are listed with pid 1216. So killing that would cause a lot of problems (I assume).

>If this happens frequently to you, you might want to read
>about the option 'reset on zero vc' in the manpage of
>smb.conf.

I'll check that out...

Information in this message  may contain  confidential and  privileged
information.  If you are not  the intended recipient please accept our
apologies; please do not disclose,  copy or distribute  information in
this e-mail or take any  action in reliance on its  contents: to do so
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this
message  has  gone  astray  before  deleting it.  Thank  you for  your
co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million
messages  are sent every day by the system.  To find  out why more and
more NHS personnel are  switching to  this NHS  Connecting  for Health
system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail