[Samba] File Lock Timeout

Fri Jan 12 15:47:58 GMT 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 03:21:10PM +0000, Stringer Leon (West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust) wrote:
> I've seen posts (but no answers) about clearing a file
> lock on a Samba share. Presumably this kind of thing
> happens when the program abnormally terminates and doesn't
> close its open files.
>
> I've got a file that smbstatus reports as:
>
> 1216   DENY_WRITE 0x20089     RDONLY     NONE             /shares/share1/Files/december.xls   Fri Jan 12 12:51:30 2007
>
> Trying to open this in Excel says it's locked for editing
> by the user who reports that they definitely don't have it
> open.
>
> So I'm guessing this lock will eventually time out. But
> after how long? I can't find any documentation on this.
> But it looks like it's longer than 2 hours!

If the client who is being served by process 1216 is still
around you should ask the user sitting at that box to close
the file. If not, kill pid 1216 and the problem should solve
itself.

If this happens frequently to you, you might want to read
about the option 'reset on zero vc' in the manpage of
smb.conf.

Volker