[Samba] Winbind/samba domain logon

M Azer azermina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 19:09:06 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I am setting up samba 3.0.23c as a domain member of win2003 active
directory- the following steps were successful:
1-join the domain (Joined domain CAD)
2-nmbd, smbd and winbindd were started fine
3-edited nsswich.conf
               a-passwd files winbind
               b-group files winbind
4-wbinfo -u and -g worked fine i could see the users and the groups as well
as getnet passwd user -all fine
5- wbinfo -t return* checking the trust secret via RPC calls succeeded*

First question: when I created a folder on samba then changed the owner to
be one of the AD users the ls -l that folder i get
-rw-r--r-- 1 *10002* root 0 Jan 4 12:15 file   *INSTEAD OF*
-rw-r--r-- 1 *John* root 0 Jan 4 12:15 file
so instead of getting back the owner name i get the owner UID?

Second question which the more important one is on my client machine
XP pro i could browse the network and
get to see my share (user share) however when i double click it i get
a login asking for the user name and password
I am missing something because i thought that winbind should
authenticate the user against the windows 2003 AD once i login?

smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = CAD
        netbios name = testbox