[Samba] Some users can connect and others can't

Philip Washington phwashington at comcast.net
Wed Jan 3 01:57:25 GMT 2007

I have the following configuration on one of my file shares using
3.0.10.  And I have found out that some users can get files off of the
server and some cannot.
The users that cannot connect get the error.
"Incorrect password or unknown username"
  Connect as;
  Password:

After playing around awhile I added one of the users to the computer
with useradd.  They were then able to connect.  I am not sure why this
was required, because I have a number of other users which don't have a
accounts on this server and they can login just fine.

I add a local account  using
useradd user1
and they can login
userdel user1
and they can't login

Using a SambaPDC with LDAP backend.  So I am guessing that there is a
property in there that some accounts have and some don't.  I just haven'
t been able to figure out what it is.  Any help would be appreciated.

# Global parameters
[global]
    workgroup = DOM
    netbios name = STANDARD_SERVER
    server string = Standard Data
    security = DOMAIN
    password server = 192.168.5.2 192.168.5.3
    log level = 0 vfs:2
    log file = /var/log/samba/%U.%m.log
    max log size = 50
    smb ports = 139
    lpq cache time = 20
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    dns proxy = No
    wins server = 192.168.5.2
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000
    template primary group = "Domain Users"
    template shell = /bin/bash
    winbind separator = +
    printer admin = DOM+phwashington, root-clark, phwashington
    hosts allow = 192.168.5., 10.10.9., 192.168.6., 127.
    veto files = /.*/lost*/
    vfs objects = extd_audit

[Char_Data]
    comment = STANDARD DATA