[Samba] password alignment with /etc/passwd

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Wed Feb 28 18:52:03 GMT 2007

Rashkae wrote:
> stephen mulcahy wrote:
>> Hi Markus,
>>

>> Markus Franke wrote:
>>> well it's actually very close to what I want. The problem is that the
>>> existing user passwords should be preserved. I don't want to create new
>>> passwords for each user. Is it somehow possible to convert the encoded
>>> password string in /etc/passwd to /etc/samba/smbpasswd?
>>
>> As far as I know this isn't possible ... but I'm not a samba expert. I'd
>> be delighted to find out otherwise.
>
> The encoded passwords can't be moved over directly, to the best of my
> knowledge.  I've never tried this before, but if I needed to so
> something like this, I would try attacking my my /etc/passwd with John
> the Ripper to get plaintext of most of the passowrds, then feed those
> into smbpasswd (by script if theres enough to warrant it.)
The passwords in /etc/passwd should be unrecoverable in theory (apart
from a brute-force attack) if you are using a reasonable encrypting
scheme (every distro I know defaults to a decent one) and
strength-checking (not usually used) . And the encryption scheme is
different from what Windows uses, so there is no reasonable way of
converting them.

You could try the suggested dictionary attack which will get the weak
passwords.