[Samba] password alignment with /etc/passwd

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Wed Feb 28 18:18:58 GMT 2007

stephen mulcahy wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>

> Markus Franke wrote:
>> well it's actually very close to what I want. The problem is that the
>> existing user passwords should be preserved. I don't want to create new
>> passwords for each user. Is it somehow possible to convert the encoded
>> password string in /etc/passwd to /etc/samba/smbpasswd?
>
> As far as I know this isn't possible ... but I'm not a samba expert. I'd
> be delighted to find out otherwise.

The encoded passwords can't be moved over directly, to the best of my
knowledge.  I've never tried this before, but if I needed to so
something like this, I would try attacking my my /etc/passwd with John
the Ripper to get plaintext of most of the passowrds, then feed those
into smbpasswd (by script if theres enough to warrant it.)