[Samba] password alignment with /etc/passwd

Markus Franke Markus.Franke at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Feb 28 17:14:53 GMT 2007

Hello,

thanks for reply.

stephen mulcahy wrote:
> Then everytime a user changes their samba password (using smbpasswd on
> the Samba server or CTRL-ALT-DEL/Change Password on a client logged into
> the domain) the password will also be copied to /etc/passwd so they will
> always remain in sync.
>
> Is this what you want?

well it's actually very close to what I want. The problem is that the
existing user passwords should be preserved. I don't want to create new
passwords for each user. Is it somehow possible to convert the encoded
password string in /etc/passwd to /etc/samba/smbpasswd?

> The only minor headache is ensuring your users use smbpasswd rather than
> passwd to change their password even when they want to change their
> Linux/UNIX system password.

This would be not a problem.

Regards,
Markus