[Samba] password alignment with /etc/passwd

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Wed Feb 28 16:01:56 GMT 2007

Hi Markus,

If you configure your Samba as follows

   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   pam password change = yes

Then everytime a user changes their samba password (using smbpasswd on
the Samba server or CTRL-ALT-DEL/Change Password on a client logged into
the domain) the password will also be copied to /etc/passwd so they will
always remain in sync.

Is this what you want?

The only minor headache is ensuring your users use smbpasswd rather than
passwd to change their password even when they want to change their
Linux/UNIX system password.

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd, Innovation in Business Center,
   GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.      mailto:smulcahy at aplpi.com
  mobile:+353.87.2930252  office:+353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com