[Samba] Trying to share HP Officejet 5610 Multi-function

Forrest D forrestd991 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 17:55:29 GMT 2007

I'm trying to share my HP 5610 on my Samba (3.0.24-1 fc6 x86_64) machine and
am running into a typical HP related SANFU.  The XP drivers supplied only
install through the installation program.  (ie. I can't use device manager
to point XP to the driver and install it)  So I installed the printer on my
XP machine, used the installation program to install the drivers and then
shared the printer out and copied the folders and files in the print$ share
to my samba machine /var/spool/samba/ (rwxrwxrwt)  .  I then restarted samba
and when I connect to the printer on my XP machine it still asks me for the
driver.  I read somewhere that you have to force samba to recognize drivers
installed this way and think this is what I have to do, but I can't figure
out how to do it.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Here is my smb.conf

[global]
    workgroup = MOYA
    realm = MOYA.FARSCAPE.LOCAL