[Samba] Move a Samba PDC from Solaris to Linux

Roman Bigler roeme at roeme.ch
Tue Feb 27 14:40:11 GMT 2007

> Hello,
>
> we want to move our Samba PDC controller from a Solaris (2.8)
> machine to
> a Linux (CentOS4.4) machine.
>
> We have the following plan (on both servers is Samba installed. We use
> the passdb-backend smbpasswd):
>
> 1) Stop Samba on the Solaris machine
> 2) Copy all machine accounts from Solaris /etc/passwd to Linux /etc/
> passwd
> 3) Copy the following files from Solaris to Linux:
>  samba/private/*
>  samba/conf/smb.conf
>  samba/var/locks/*.tdb
> 4) Poweroff the Solaris machine
> 5) Change the name of the Linux machine (to the name of the Solaris
> machine)
> 6) Start Samba on the Linux machine
>
> Will that work? Are the tdb files platform independent? After the
> move are all
> Windows clients still in the windows-domain?

I don't know if the tdb files are platform independent(I assume they
are, referring to http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2004-
March/034778.html), but with the migration described above, you can
several clients, and if it fails, go back. Of course, that might
require a scheduled downtime, but judging by the migration plan
described above, you'll need that anyway...

Cheers,
Roeme