[Samba] Capital letters in usernames

Martin Brook lists.martin at brookfamily.org.uk
Mon Feb 26 13:16:17 GMT 2007

Hi,

Can anyone help me with an annoying problem regarding capital letters
in usernames.

I have three users whose usernames begin with a capital, and I'd
really like to fix this so that all usernames are lower case, for
consistency and to avoid confusion if they use other services provided
by the linux box.

(I'm using tbdsam backend, with Samba 3.0.22 as PDC.)

I've tried using usermod to change the user's UNIX username. But once
this is done, the user is unable to log in.

I'm not able to to change the SMB username - it's not an option in
pdbedit as far as I can tell, and 'net user rename' fails with
NT_STATUS_INVALID_INFO_CLASS. I also get an error when trying to
rename the user through User Manager for Domains from a Windows 2000
box.

My only remaining idea is to just delete and re-create the user
accounts, but I'm worried about losing other information/settings,
such as file permissions, if I do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Martin