[Samba] Samba + Bonding = Terrible Performance

Eric Bambach ebambach at star.niu.edu
Sun Feb 25 04:58:09 GMT 2007

Charles Marcus wrote:
> Mark Rutherford wrote:
>> Have you tried changing 'socket options' in your smb.conf file?
>>
>> You may need to tune that for your setup, it does make a difference
>> at least in a system with 1 NIC in it.
>> However, I have no experience with bonding and Samba.
>
> Actually, with the newer 2.6 kernels, it is recommended to completely
> remove these settings.
>
> I'd try that first...

Ok. Just got some time to take the server(s) down and play with them.
Here are some results.

Completely commented socket options line = No change
Changed bonding mode from 0(no switch support needed) to 4 (IEEE 802.3ad
mode ) = No change

I was hopeful because the bonding development lists said mode 0 can
cause massive packet reordering on the clients. But even with a
standards compliant bonding mode there was no change :(

Furthermore, it seems that this problem is only from the Debian Linux
Samba Server to the Mac clients. From the server to a PC is not affected
regardless of the number of cards involved (1 or 2). I may take this
issue to Apple forums if nobody has any ideas since it seems to be a
very specific interaction between OS X, bonding, and Samba.

Any other suggestions?