[Samba] getent returns HEX number instead of username

Stephen Carville effcee at heronforge.net
Wed Feb 21 05:15:44 GMT 2007

Not for all users but for some.

I'm using samba 3.0.20 running on Fedora Core 3.  Security = ADS,
winbind works and getent passwd returns local unix accounts plus the
domain accounts as expected.

It also returns a lot of entries like:

6811ff15281f4d19bdc:x:18004:10000:Anel Susana
Esquivel:/export/private/6811ff15281f4d19bdc:"/sbin/nologin"

I suspect these are accounts in a trusted domain.  AFAIK, they are not
causing any problems but I'm wondering if this is normal (and harmless)
or an indication I messed up something.  Could the owner of the hex
numbered account access any shares on my server?  Ideally no one outside
the domain designated in the smb.conf file should be able to access any
shares on this server.

--
Stephen