[Samba] Domain Admins with Samba 3.024

Neil Jolly neil at jollycom.ca
Wed Feb 21 03:55:38 GMT 2007

On 14-Feb-07, at 8:13 AM, Neil Jolly wrote:

> <quote who="stephane.purnelle at corman.be">
>> Please read the changelog !
>>
>> There are many change between 3.0.10 and 3.0.2x
>> In 3.0.2x samba version, privilege are enabled are must be used !

Replying to my own message here to explain, for the sake of others,
how I resolved this issue.
1) Backed up /etc/samba
2) Completely removed all the saba rpms.
3) Downloaded the samba src rpm
4) Downloaded any packages needed to satisfy dependancies (postgresql
in my case)
5) Built new rpms
6) installed all the previously built rpms with the exception of
samba3-vscan, and samba3-winbind (these weren't required in my case)
7) restored /etc/samba
8) I had to rejoin the domain with the test clients after this (not
sure why I had to do this) as the previous machine accounts were no
longer valid. Since I was still configuring the server, and in the
testing stage this was no big deal for me, but for a larger network
it may be worth finding a way around this one.

No other changes were made, and domain admins are now recognized as
administrators on the local client PCs.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope this is helpful to someone.

Neil Jolly
#12 800 Bowcroft Place
Cochrane, Alberta
Phone: (403) 688-7516