[Samba] Domain logins across subnets

Paul McGrath J.P.McGrath at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 12:21:07 GMT 2007

I have had this problem even with a MS Windows DC.  I now have a OSX
Panther server as my DC.  If you don't have a WINS server then you need
to create a lmhosts file on each workstation.

Test it with one client and put the lmhosts file in the
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder
There is one there already called lmhosts.sam so just take the file
extension off then add this line to the bottom
DC ip address	registered name		domain name
111.111.111.111	dom-controller	#PRE #DOM:my-domain

Mine is
129.???.???.???	Cancer	#PRE  #DOM:cruk

This is on evevery PC anyway whether its on my subnet or not and it
works.

Other people will come up with other suggestions but you'll spend hours
at them and they probably wont work cos I did 8 years ago!

Regards
Paul