[Samba] Vista can't use samba hosted printer drivers

Doug Chappell doug at mmb.usyd.edu.au
Fri Feb 9 02:35:20 GMT 2007

Hi,

> Is anyone else seeing Vista (final) will not "connect" to
> a samba-hosted printer? I'm getting error 0x00000057

We have seen slightly different behaviour with point and print on
a Windows Vista Home Basic Laptop.  Older printers such as HP 4050
series laserjet and  HP LaserJet 1200 install and print correctly.
Newer printers such as the Kyocera FS-C5016N colour laser and FS-1118MFP
multi-function laser give the 0x00000057 error.

I remember that these Kyocera drivers would not install on XP as
a non-administrator user.  This could be overcome by installing as
administrator [which installed the driver] and then clicking on the
printer on the samba server as an ordinary user.  Alternatively changing
XP group policy by disabling "Users can only Point and Print to machines
in their Forest" also allowed ordinary users to install the printers
from scratch.

Doug
--
| Dr Doug Chappell                                 |