[Samba] PDC appears to be BDC in server manager

Martin Brook lists.martin at brookfamily.org.uk
Mon Feb 12 09:28:15 GMT 2007

Many thanks Michael. That worked perfectly. (I think when I tried this
previously I didn't delete browse.dat, and I don't think the lack of a
properly working root account in samba was helping much either).

If I could ask one more question - I've noticed that, in the SAM
database, the account flags W and S for the two servers' machine
accounts are the wrong way round.

e.g.

# pdbedit -Lv BIGSERVER$
Unix username:        BIGSERVER$
NT username:          BIGSERVER$
Account Flags:        [W          ]
# pdbedit -Lv LITTLESERVER$
Unix username:        LITTLESERVER$
NT username:          LITTLESERVER$
Account Flags:        [S          ]

shouldn't these be the other way round? according to the manpage:

W: Workstation Trust Account
S: Server Trust Account

I suppose they are swapped because that was how they were when the
accounts were migrated.

I tried editing the flags with pdbedit but that's not allowed. I tried
deleting and recreating the machine accounts but was unable to
recreate them (so I restored the .tdb files from backup).

Does it even matter, since everything is working now?

Martin