[Samba] FreeBSD and Winbind

jhall at vandaliamo.net jhall at vandaliamo.net
Sat Feb 10 01:36:07 GMT 2007

Thanks to everyone for the help.  I still cannot get getent passwd or
getent group to work.  This is what I have done since last round of
e-mails.  If anyone sees anything glaringly obvious, please let me know.

1.  Compiled samba from source with --prefix=/usr/local/samba
--with-smbtar --with winbind.

2.  Modified /etc/nsswitch.conf with
     passwd: files winbind
     group: files winbind

3.  Copied nss_winbind.so to /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so and created a
symbolic link to the file for libnss_winbind.so.2.  libnss_winbind.so has
permissions of 444 and is owned by root:wheel.

4.  Copied nss_wins.so to /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so and created a
symbolic link to the file for libnss_wins.so.2.  libness_wins.so has
permissions of 444 and is owned by root:wheel.

5.  Ran ldconfig -r to reload shared objects.  libnss_winbind and
libnss_wins are listed.

6.  Started winbind.  No errors.

7. wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g return the user and group names.

8.  getent passwd and getent group only return local groups and users.

If anyone sees anything obviously wrong, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jay